Tuesday, October 16, 2007

5 - on living

Yesterday.

Heard my phone ringing starlight, it was around 4 am. On the other side there was my best friend Unver. He asked me if I knew Kerem. I couldn't remember but I told him not to make me look like so. He told me that it's not like that. He said I knew him. His voice was confident. Then he told me about the accident. I wasn't much interested and we talked about something else. Then I went to bed. I stared at stars in the ceiling but I couldn't sleep. Next thing I did was searching the online editions of newspapers. Then I found it on the frontpage. The picture was revealing memories. I was his mentor.

When he started the college, I tried my best to make him feel comfortable in adapting to this new environment. He didn't seem to need anything more than a friendly approach. Energetic and sincere, he had a true smile. I cannot say more on my account. I knew he would have so many good friends from the first moment I got to know him. Fast under rain.. And he was an energetic person with friends in his car. That's it I said to myself. No more speeding under rain. A mythical tropical storm in my room, alone and far away, I was thankful to the technology. It was Levent, a very close friend, he was online. I thought about the cosmic laws of coincidence and life. We talked about the usual things and that was what I needed. I found a cool website to spend some time as he asked with simple but fun graphics to play with stickmen, fighting against the evil robots. Whether stick or electric, it was all about fighting against robots, inside and outside.

At 7 am, I fell asleep. When I woke up at 10.30 am, I still had time to get ready for my pre-arranged lunch with a friend. As I get to downtown, I couldn't reach him, later to learn he left his phone in his car and out all day for an urgent business meeting. By great coincidence, two of my favourite friends from my last job were taking Andres out to lunch for it was his birthday. I joined them.We talked about this and that in an Italian restaurant which was an imitation only. Me, Lorelie, Soluna and Andres were more Italian than anything in there with our placid conversation. Then I was thinking about going to the pool but I remembered that my mother called me before, to ask me to go online so that we could have a video-call on skype.

It's been a long time since our last video conference. We talked for two hours. It's what missing does to people, in this case, it's hard for me to talk more than 30 mins. After then, I was tired. Nevertheless I heard from a dear friend for the first time since forever and remained on the computer, my fingers were running on the keypad and staring on the liquid crystal display. How sad! Where I am? Where were I? Have I skipped fifteen years from your lives as well as from mine. Where were you Irem and Funda? It's like having left a very important part of yourself in a time-capsule, only to find it back now. Now! What is now?
It was yesterday.

And then I went out to watch my friends on the green field playing football. They scored one aesthetic goal and tried to secure the win through heavy defense. The lights of the field is the thing I love most about night games above anything else.

Then I didn't want to drive back home directly. I kept on riding until I found myself in my favourite street. Isn't that what it is always about? Heading towards the right place to go.

At home, I watched TV for a while. There was a popular show, followed by a movie about perfect women in a fake town only to be revealed that they were robots, the Stepford Wives. Still when the movie is on, I checked if I got any messages online.

When it was close to 2 am, I feel asleep.
Sleep well darling, said the ceiling.

October 16th

1 comment:

Lorelie said...

i love the night lights too at games and am so glad you were there to witness the Haggis win. see you soon good buddy. maybe an unexpected lunch or on another one of your favorite streets.