Wednesday, October 17, 2007

7 - my sweet unemployment

Lately I am practicing "the habit of resting before getting tired." Being unemployed for the last 40 something days. This post is about it.

When it hits 8, I am sleeping. Then comes 9, 10 and 11? When do I wake up? Anytime between dusk to dawn or vice versa. It depends I would say best. A routine free life you might say. Well I don't think so. Again there is a pattern in doing nothing. Yeah that's what I say when my friends ask me what I am doing. Simply put, nothing. Extended answer isn't any different, nothing :) However, that's not true. I remember times when I was working, still doing nothing. In fact in one of my internships I had a cubicle without a computer or anything on it. I was responsible for reading stuff that I finished in a day and then my favorite responsibility was watching the water fountain from 8 till 5. Still this was OK. Cause before that in another internship for a week, I was in a factory, again doing nothing and sitting in the rest area with fellow interns, btw all were guys. No fun. Even more.. Have you ever found yourself surrounded by engineers?? That place could easily be a "Survivor: The Last Challenge". Do I sound too harsh? I don't think so :) Anyway, doing nothing is a good thing as well. Yeah seriously. That's how this blog has started. Admit it, at work sometimes what makes most sense is these blogs :) It's the state of being free to do whatever you like. Unfortunately at the same time if you take it too serious, in Mr. Wilde's words, "the most difficult thing in the world". I agree. Therefore there is always something that I do. It might be hanging out with the ducks, drinking water, cooking, cleaning the house, watching TV... hmmm what else? ahahhaha that's quite a list and I already lied about cleaning the house.

Did you watch Big Daddy? It's one of my favorite movies. No wonder why I ended up similar. Just you have to take out the kid, the girlfriend, the roommate, NYC and trade in B-School instead of Law School. And today my mother was telling me it would be appropriate for me if only I wasn't a B-School grad. Cool logic in fact... Actually the thing is I really enjoy the work life. It's like a game with everything for real. That's why I think I will go back soon. The work routine and all that. Now is the time to work out the details...

Hold on a second. Maybe not... As K. from my latest job said, "if you do what you love, you don't work a day in your life". I feel like that's right and the correct attitude to adopt. Feel free to comment.

In the end a proverb states,
Idleness is the beginning of all vices.

No comments: