Thursday, May 1, 2008

74 - customize the random 3

A lot earlier...

Within the mass-consumption system, the number of available options will be limited to those are selected by the service providers. Even though combinations of options will increase the degree of customization, it will not be that many. Bringing up the question...

If the products and services you buy reflect who you are, would it mean that the person with the same choices is you? Do you see the dilemma of identity in this?

The following is sort of an elaboration by a creative ad-agency for an outstanding car company. Of course it's within the manipulative context of the system.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha!The ad was fun, I like the way you used it. About 'the person with the same choices is you?' question: true!very good point, my friend. I think it is true as far as we flatter a 'human being' to the mere dimension of a 'consumer'. But we are more complex than that, I guess.
Regarding the 'number of available options', I definitely agree with you. This is why I wanna produce content: I wanna put more options on the menu of choice. Thus, we are consumer and we are service providers, as well. Whatchu thinking?

P.S. Thank You for the positive comment on TR Tr magazine, we did a GREAT job. I am getting great feedback from everybody : )

Aras said...

Thank you Marco for your comment! I am glad that you liked the way the video comes in! Seems like there is a lot that could be displayed in 30 secs.

'We are consumers and service providers' Good observation! Characterizing an identity through what he/she produces that's within the same argument of being consumers though. Since producers are much less in number, consumerism imposes being a consumer rather than a producer as a self-perception.

I assume even the workers in Chinese factories dream of buying things not manufacturing.