Saturday, April 17, 2010

102 - ethics in reflections

`I like this` is never the same in meaning with `This is good`. The first one expresses that you are expressing your feelings about something (`this`). The latter expresses that something has some quality of being `good`, whatever that might be. I personally prefer the first expression to the latter one, because it contains the objective quality of being good disassociated with why you feel the way you do about `this`. It is more personal and contains less concern for others' approval. On the other hand, the second expression is universalistic, more than a personal feeling, it is an assertion. Also just because it's universalistic, everyone else have a say over it as well, at least has the right to do so. Therefore there is more concern for social approval in the latter.

I prefer the first one because, it's probably more true; I mean it's likely that I know how I feel better than some object which might appear good but is bad, or appear bad but is good.

Therefore, I like people who like things and reflects about them more than who 'thinks' about things and comments on them. In other words, in the context of my favourite reflection, 'this' is closer to me than 'that'.

Voila!

No comments: